Thursday, April 9, 2009

What's in a name?

Ida, there's a name for ya. Do you know anyone with this name? If you do know of an Ida , consider yourself lucky, because she is probably an interesting soul. My Mother's middle name is Ida, and with the exception of my Mom, who is a fascinating and beautiful person (with many stories to tell), I really never ran into the name until a few years ago. Living in history-rich, St. Augustine, Fl, I had an opportunity to portray another Ida: Ida Alice Flagler. Oh what a gal! The second wife of Henry Flagler, the railroad tycoon. She was wild soul, who had great part in creating the Flagler Hotel (now college). She was also infamous for her antics which included, running naked thru the hotel fountain, as well as, holding seances to commune with her "love", Nicholas, the Czar of Russia. She ended up in a mental hospital, but I'm not sure she really belonged there. See Henry wasn't the nicest guy and with that much money, he could do whatever he wanted! And he wanted a new, young wife!
A couple of weeks ago I began research for my new play, it's a history of RI, it's set in Oakland Beach, Warwick. In the process of searching for historical figures,to use as characters, I found another Ida. Ida Lewis, of Newport, RI. She was the first female lighthouse keeper on the Eastern Seaboard. She was a strong, courageous woman; of course, she didin't see herself that way; she was just doing what had to be done. While working on the rocky Newport shores she rescued over 200 people in the course of her career! There is a yaught club named for her!
So for years I thought my Mom's name was funny and strange, did I mention her first name is Dorice! Turns out, others with funny names have made a positive impact on many lives (Mr. Obama), just like my Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment