Sunday, May 17, 2009

All the world's a stage

Yes, and I was so happy to be back on one yesterday. No I was not rehearsing for my upcoming productions. I was doing something I rarely do, I was "Auditioning". I sometimes jokingly tell people I started my own company so that I wouldn't have to audition anymore. Well, I guess that's partially true. I started my company so that I could produce my own work, and to choose whose work I want to do. It's not that I feel I'm above auditioning, it's just to put yourself through that emotional rollercoaster is only part of the decision. Now, as an actor, I am always being judged by my audience. But in performance, I feel I am in control. I think when you spend hours preparing an audition piece a thousand different ways , to put yourself into the characters world for just a moment, with the hope that that moment turn into a lifetime. Because once you take on a role, it is part of you forever, that is one of the most wondrous parts of being an actor. You take on a character, and you become them and then when the curtain goes down, they have become you. Why did I audition, sing a song I thought I knew until I had to learn it for real. Sing it over and over and over, until it's the only thing I hear (besides my screaming kids, nothing drowns them out).The answer is simple, a Director (Rich Morra) whose work I greatly respect and admire, asked me to. Oh, did I mention it was for the role of Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar. I have wanted to play this role for as long as I can remember! Even just having the opportunity to sing "I don't know how to love him" in front of anyone is a dream come true. So that is why I do what I do. Because even though now I must endure two weeks of waiting to find out if I got the part or not, I enjoyed singing that song. And I know I will again, someday soon, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment